MBBS (BHU), MS Ortho (BHU), MRCS (Edinburgh, UK)
Fellowship in Joint Replacements & Ortho Reconstruction Surgery (UK)
Consultant Orthopaedic & Joint Replacement Surgeon, Hyderabad, India.
Max Superspecialty Ortho Clinic
MIG 327, JK Hospital premises, near DBS - Laxmi Vilas Bank, Road No.4 , Remedy Hospital lane, KPHB, Hyderabad-72.
Timings: Monday to Saturday: 10 am - 6pm
Sunday: 10 am - 1 pm
Phone: 09948855488, 09948855477
Medical Registration (India) 39048 (UP) 55376 (AP)
UK Medical Registration GMC Full Registration (No. 6025150).
Basic Professional profile:
I was trained for six years in Orthopaedics at United Kingdom (until November 2006). I did Fellowships in the internationally distinguished & specialised Orthopaedic units of Oxford, Brighton, Manchester, Cardiff, Glasgow and Birmingham.
I have wide experience and competence in primary and revision surgeries of hip & knee joints, complex trauma surgery, lower limb reconstruction surgeries besides routine orthopaedic & trauma surgeries.
I did MBBS and MS (Orthopaedics 1997) from Banaras Hindu University, India. There after, I worked as senior fellow in Hyderabad and Varanasi for two years.
I am registered with The Medical Council of UK and received extensive training in Orthopaedic subspecialties in United Kingdom.
I accomplished MRCS from The Royal College of Surgeons of Edinburgh, UK.
To be updated with the latest trend in orthopaedics, I have been an active participant in a wide variety of Orthopaedic courses and workshops held in World Centres of Excellence in UK, Europe and India.
I have been principal investigator for numerous research projects in UK & India.
These are published in reputed journals worldwide besides being presented in International and European Conferences in Spain, Netherlands, Slovenia, India and UK.
As a social initiative, I have a website: www.orthohyd.com for educating patients, doctors and students about various common and rare Orthopaedic & Trauma conditions, their treatment and outcome in simple patient friendly language.
It is free and open website. Common Orthopaedic surgeries, diet lifestyle management, physiotherapy exercises, video links and CME topics are discussed as open and shared learning without any cost to all.
Professional Qualifications & Registrations
MRCS (Ed) (2004) - The Royal College of Surgeons of Edinburgh
MS (Orthopaedics, 1997) - Banaras Hindu University, India
MBBS (1994) Banaras Hindu University, India
PLAB (2002) General Medical Council, United Kingdom
ATLS (2003) Birmingham City Hospital, United Kingdom
Medical Registration -India - 39048 (UP), 55376 (AP)
UK Medical Registration GMC Full Registration - No. 6025150.
Medical Indemnity membership IMA – AP – H1/0570/04888/2006, 11750
Indian Orthopaedic Association life membership LM 3087
Indian Society of Hip & Knee Surgeons life membership
Twin city Orthopaedic club membership, Hyderabad
Life member of Varanasi Orthopaedic Club.
Certificate of distinction in Biochemistry during M.B.B.S. (1991).
University merit scholarships awarded during M.B.B.S. (1991-94)
Best poster award at 21st UPIOA Conference, Jhansi, India (1997).
Specialist Experience and Services:
I have wide experience in:
Primary & Revision surgeries of Hip & Knee joints
Ligament reconstructions and repairs
Fracture fixations with Ilizarov techniques, plates, recon nails and combination of techniques, complex trauma surgery,
Limb reconstruction surgeries besides routine Orthopaedic surgery in Hyderabad.
I have been principal investigator for audits & projects and have been writing papers and presenting them. I have been actively involved in complex joint replacement surgeries, participating in related courses, workshops, conferences & teaching programmes, to build my Orthopaedic career in all aspects.
Posts held in Surgical Training - United Kingdom
Posts held in Surgical Training – India
Registrar (Trauma & Orthopaedics) Sept. 1998 - Mar 2001
Registrar (Trauma & Orthopaedics) Jan 1998 – Aug 1998
Resident (Trauma & Orthopaedics) Jan 1995 – Dec. 1997
Hindu Sevasadan Hospital, Varanasi, India (Prof. SC Goel).
Kamineni Teaching Hospital, Hyderabad, India (Dr. JVS Vidyasagar).
Sir Sunderlal Hospital, Banaras Hindu University, India (Dr. SK Saraf)
Consultant at Medwin Hospitals, Hyderabad (Oct 2006 to August 2008)
1. Tarsal tunnel syndrome in talar neck fractures: a missed finding; Journal of OASIS, India, 2015; Volume 12, 43-46.
1A. Clinico-radiological outcomes in talar neck fractures. Submitted in Indian Journal of Orthopedics, 2015
2. Arthroscopic ankle debridement; 5 year survival analysis, Acta Orthop Belg. 2007 Dec ;73 (6):737-40.
3. Are drains required following routine total joint arthroplasty’ paper published in International OrthopaedicsJournal 2006, October Vol 11
4. ‘Counselling in digital nerve injuries of hand’ in Archives of Orthopedics & Trauma Surgery – Medline 2006, indexed journal.
5. ‘Surgical treatment of painful acromioclavicular dislocations’ (accepted for publication in Archives of Orthopedics & Trauma Surgery – Medline indexed journal.
6. ‘Can radiological results be surrogate marker of functional outcome in distal radius fractures?’ in International Orthopaedics - 2006 Medline indexed journal.
7. How many clinic visits does it take to treat distal radial fractures?’ in International Orthopaedics - Medline indexed journal, November 2006.
8. Letter (16.06.03) for Orthopaedic Surgery. BMJ Career Focus 2006; 332: 229-230
9. Correspondence published (06.03.06) on The management of avascular necrosis after slipped capital femoral epiphysis. J Bone Joint Surg 2005;
10. Correspondence published (15.06.05) on Triple arthrodesis: is bone grafting necessary?: The results in 100 consecutive cases. J Bone Joint Surg 2005; 87-B: 175-8
11. Role of Suction drains in Primary total joint arthroplasty. Kumar S, Penematsa SR, Parekh S. J Bone Joint Surg; 88-B: Supp II, 243.
12. Rhabdomyosarcoma presenting as a calf pyomyositis. Kumar S, Chougle A, Meadows TH. Journal of Pediatric Orthopaedics B, 2005; 14: 226-227.
13. Should patients with some features of digital nerve injuries be explored? Kumar S, Penematsa SR, Shewring D. The Surgeon 2005; 03(3): S47.
14. Does radiological result represent the expected functional outcome in distal radial fractures? Kumar S, Sadri M, Penematsa SR, Deshmukh SC. The
Surgeon 2005; 03(3): S11.
15. Colles’ fracture; a week later. Kumar S, Sadri M, Deshmukh S, Ansari MZ. Journal of Emergency Medicine 2004; 26(4): 476.
A. Submitted paper on Is Tip Apex Distance Critical in Union of Fractures of Femoral Neck, IOACON, 2016, Kochi, Kerala, India.
1. Tarsal tunnel syndrome in talar neck fractures: a missed finding, IOACON, Jaipur , 2015.
2. ‘Epidural steroids in Lumbar disc prolapse’ IOACON, 2011.
3. ‘Modified Weaver-Dunn procedure for chronic painful acromioclavicular joint dislocations’ 7th European Trauma Congress, Slovenia, 2006.
4. ‘Exploration of digital nerve injuries’, XVII Combined congress of SECMA-BSSH, Spain, 2005.
5. ‘Functional evaluation of distal radial fractures’, XVII Combined congress of SECMA-BSSH, Spain, 2005.
6. ‘Failure rate of distal radius fracture reduction performed in A & E department, 6th European Congress of Trauma & Emergency Surgery, Netherlands, 2004.
7. ‘Evaluation of results of Talar neck fractures’, 6th European Congress of Trauma & Emergency Surgery, Netherlands, 2004.
8. ‘Inter-hospital Transfers of Spinal injury patients’, Annual Meeting of British Society of Rehabilitation Medicine – Scottish chapter, Edinburgh, 2003.
9. ‘Analgesia for reduction of Colles’ fractures’, 2nd MediterraneanEmergency Congress, Barcelona, Spain, 2003.
10. ‘Colles’ fracture; a week later’, 2nd Mediterranean Emergency Congress, Barcelona, Spain, 2003.
11. ‘Early prediction of fracture healing by ultrasonography in operated femoral fractures’, 16th North Zone Orthopaedic Conference, New Delhi,
Audits and Projects
1. Guide in DNB research thesis projects every year for Postgraduate DNB Ortho residents.
2. ‘Digital nerve repair’ performed at University Hospital of Wales, Cardiff, UK, 2005.
‘Evaluation of talar neck fractures’ at City Hospital, Birmingham, UK, 2004.
‘Results following introduction of transfer protocol for transferring spinal injury patients’ at Southern General Hospital, Glasgow, UK, 2003.
‘Management of fractures of distal radius in Accident & Emergency department’ at City Hospital, Birmingham,UK, 2003.
‘Role of suction drains in primary THR & TKR’ at City Hospital, Birmingham, UK, 2002.
Project on change in ‘Oswestry Disability Scores’ following caudal epidural injections for intervertebral disc prolapse and spinal stenosis,
Brighton, UK, 2006
Courses/ Conferences attended in last few years:
1. Annual conference of Indian Orthopaedic Association IOACON, 2009 to 2019, India
2. Indian Society of Hip & Knee Surgeons conference ISHKS, Bangalore, India, April 2011
3. Annual conference of Indian Orthopaedic Association Dec.2010, Jaipur, India.
4. All India Paediatric Ortho Conf, POSICON, Hyderabad 2010.
5. Annual conference of Indian Orthopaedic Association IOACON , Kolkata, India, 2008.
6. Indian Society of Hip & Knee Surgeons conference, New Delhi 2009.
Advances in Hip & Knee Replacements, Chennai 2007.
Birmingham Hip Resurfacing course, London, September 2006
Instructional course in Hip Arthroplasty, Edinburgh, August 2006.
Workshops on bone allografting techniques, cemented and cementless revision, cement removal and proximal femoral osteotomy, Edinburgh, August 2006.
Hip Resurfacing workshop, Leatherhead, September 2006
The London Hip Meeting, London, May 2006.
Modern Techniques in Knee Arthroplasty, Harlow, UK 2006.
Monoaxial, Circular & Hybrid Frames, London, March 2006.
AO/ASIF principles of fracture treatment, Leeds, June 2005.
External fixation of fractures, London, March 2005.
Primary Hip Arthroplasty, London, January 2005
7th European Trauma Congress, Slovenia, May 2006.
XVII Combined congress of SECMA-BSSH, Spain, April 2005
6th European Congress of Trauma and Emergency Surgery, Netherlands, September 2004.
Basic Knee Arthroscopy, London, April 2004.
Diabetic foot management and orthotics, Glasgow, March 2004
Awareness in child protection, Manchester, July 2004.
ATLS course, Birmingham, UK. 2003.
2nd Mediterranean Emergency Congress, September 2003, Spain.
Paediatric Advanced Life Support, Edinburgh, October 2003.
Care of Critically ill Surgical Patients, Stoke-on-Trent, May 2003.
Indian Orthopaedic Society (U.K.), Hartlepool, United Kingdom, 2003.
Advanced Life Support, Manchester, October 2002.
Pain Management course, Birmingham, September 2002.
Microsoft Computer courses, Varanasi, India, August 2000.
National Ilizarov Conference & workshop, Dec. 97, Varanasi, India.
6th Neurotrauma & Spine Surgery conference, August 97, Varanasi, India.
21st UP chapter of IOA Conference, February 1997, Jhansi, India.
UPCON 95, 19th Annual Conference, February 1995, Varanasi, India.
1. DHS or PFN for extracapsular neck of femur fractures, IOACON 2017, India.
Is Tip Apex Distance Critical in Union of Fractures of Femoral Neck,
2. Clinico-radiological evaluation of forearm fractures using
Dynamic Compression Plate, at IOACON, Jaipur , 2015.
3. ‘Epidural steroids in Lumbar disc prolapse, IOACON, Jaipur, 2010.
4. ‘Drains in Total Joint Arthroplasty’, The Quincentenary Congress,
5. ‘Management of mutilated hand injuries with External fixations and soft
tissue coverage’, 21st UPIOA Conference, India, Feb.1997.
6. ‘Ultrasonography in fracture healing’, 21st UPIOA Conference, Jhansi,
Research postgraduation thesis at BHU, Varanasi 1997
‘Clinico - radiological Evaluation of fracture healing following Intramedullary Nailing of Fracture Shaft of Femur: Reaming vis-à-vis non-reaming’;
Accepted and awarded M.S.(Orthopaedics) degree by Banaras Hindu University, India, 1997.
Work in progress
Academic research guidance for DNB thesis for postgraduate Orthopaedic trainees at St. Theresa's Hospital Hyderabad, India.
Professional Experience in UK
Orthopaedics & Trauma:
In UK, I conducted clinics, perform on-call duties, supervise in-patient care, arrange multidisciplinary referrals, consent and work as a team. I have been trained in reduction of fractures & dislocations, joint injections, plaster application, surgical procedures such as excision biopsies, implant removal and plastic surgical procedures.
I performed surgical procedures such as DHS, hip hemi-arthroplasty, ankle fixation, K-wiring, general Orthopaedic procedures and tension band wiring. Now, I perform and train resident doctors in IM nailing, plating, arthroscopy, corrective osteotomies, amputations, joint arthroplasties, revision arthroplasties, limb reconstruction and spine surgeries.
Accident & Emergency:
I was a Team leader in ‘The Resuscitation room’ and managed life threatening emergencies such as poly-trauma, cardiac arrest, MI, respiratory failure. Apart from the duties of casualty officer, I managed difficult situations such as agitated patients and breaking bad news.
Spinal injuries and Intensive care unit:
I was involved daily clinical assessment and management of spinal patients in the Intensive care unit, the High dependency unit and the rehabilitation wards.
I transported Spinal injury patients to other hospitals and to Dublin with Shock transfer team in Air-ambulance. I participated in specialised spinal clinics and in Spinal surgery.
Paediatric General and Orthopaedic surgery:
I participated in clinics, clinical care and performed procedures, under supervision, in Paediatric Orthopaedic theatres. I developed expertise in communication skills & resuscitation skills in children.
Teaching Experience & Administration
I am Head of Department of Orthopaedics and run a busy department with clinical, surgical, academic and research activities with DNB Ortho students. Besides looking after the academic activities, I look after the administration of hospital, training hospital staff and clinic staff.
I presented seminars & cases and was actively involved in academic activities in hospitals I worked, in U.K. and India.
I undertake Journal club presentations.
I teach medical and nursing students in India and U.K. hospitals with instruments, models and hand-outs.
Supervising and coordinating departmental academic, clinical and administration activities with Consultants, Resident doctors, junior doctors and staff as a team.
Preparing & coordinating Trauma & CEPOD lists.
Transfer protocol coordinator at National Spinal Injuries Unit, Glasgow.
Organising secretary of Hospital day celebrations, medical camps, mass education resident doctor work schedule planner as resident doctor at Banaras Hindu University.
Cycling, Basketball, Gardening, Tourism, Table-tennis, Health Education in various organisations in India.
Cultural events and debates at University level.
Mr. Ian Bintcliffe
Consultant Orthopaedic & Spine Surgeon,
The Royal Sussex County Hospital, Eastern Road, Brighton - BN2 5BE
Telephone: 01273696955 Ext. 7849, Fax: 01273664987
Mr. M. Patterson
Consultant Orthopaedic & Joint Replacement Surgeon,
Brighton & Sussex University Hospitals NHS Trust,
Princess Royal Hospital, Lewes Road, Haywards Heath - RH16 4EX
Telephone: 01444441881 Ext. 8258, Fax: 01444441879
Mr. M. Bhat
Consultant, Orthopaedic & Hand Surgeon,
East Surrey Hospital, Canada Avenue, Redhill - RH1 5RH
Telephone: 01737231740, Fax: 01737231841
E-mail – email@example.com
Mr. K. Mohanty
Consultant Orthopaedic & Trauma Surgeon,
University Hospital of Wales, Heath Park, Cardiff. CF14 4XW
Telephone: 02920746362, Fax: 02920745399
E-mail - firstname.lastname@example.org